So, you’re thinking about applying to Florida State University, and you’re curious about your chances of admission. There are a lot of factors in the admissions process. However, the most important factors in the admissions game are your GPA and test scores.
With an acceptance rate of 33%, admission to Florida State is extremely competitive. Based on our analysis, to have a good chance of being admitted, you need to be at the very top of your class and have either an SAT score of 1390 or an ACT score of 32.
Not quite there? Try taking our SAT prep course and You’ll still have a chance of getting in, but it’s in the single digits. Let’s take a closer look at Florida State admission statistics.
Florida State 2019 Admissions Statistics: Class of 2023
- Florida State’s acceptance rate in 2019 was 33%
- For the class of 2023, out of 57,000 applicants, Florida State admitted 19,000
- The average GPA of admitted applicants was 4.3
- The average ACT score was 30
- The average SAT score was 1330
For students who took the ACT, the 25th percentile score of successful applicants was 28, and the 75th percentile score was 32.
For students who took the SAT, the 25th percentile score was 1270. The 75th percentile score was 1390.
If you’re somewhere in the middle of these numbers, remember that a high test score can compensate for a slightly lower GPA, and vice versa. If you’re at the lower end, it helps if you’re a diverse applicant, the child of an alum, or have incredible personal achievements. Still, at the 25th percentile, your chances of getting in are in the low single digits.
Other aspects of your application, such as athletics, extracurricular and recommendations, are important, but will likely only make a difference for admission if you’re in the 75th percentile range for your GPA and SAT/ACT scores.
Even if Florida State is your dream school, and even if you’re in the 75th percentile, you’ll still want to make sure you apply to a wide variety of schools to ensure you’ll gain admission somewhere.
Generally, you should have:
- Three safety schools (where you are in the 75th percentile of GPA/test scores)
- Three reach schools (where you are in the 25th percentile of GPA/test scores)
- Three target schools (where you are near the average for GPA/test scores)
OK, so you’ve decided to apply. We took a look at Florida State’s admissions requirements to help you get everything in order.
Florida State 2019 Application Requirements: Class of 2023
Here’s a full list of application requirements:
- Fill out the Coalition Application
- Submit your high school transcript
- Submit your SAT or ACT score
- Submit your essay (from one of their provided prompts)
- Submit a resume
- Complete and submit the Residency Declaration for Tuition Purposes form
Here are the deadlines that you should be aware of:
- The application deadline is November 1st for Early Action
- The application deadline is February 7th for Regular Decision
- December 1st is the financial aid application deadline
- Early Action notifications are released in late January
- Regular Decision applicants find out their fates in late March
Have you been admitted to Florida State? Congratulations! Below is a glimpse of what your classmates will be like.
Florida State 2019 Admitted Students Profile: Class of 2023
If you matriculate at Florida State, you’ll be joining a diverse class, with students from all over the U.S. and the world, and have a chance to study in dozens of fields.
Here are some interesting facts about the recently admitted class:
- Roughly 45% are male and 55% are female
- 1.4% of students are international
Florida State has a diverse class, as well, with a large number of people of color. The ethnicities of admitted applicants are:
- International: 1.4%
- Underrepresented minority: 1.5%
- Two or more races: 3.4%
- White: 63.7%
What do these admitted students plan to study? Florida State offers dozens of majors, and students matriculating there pursue a wide number of subjects. Here is a list of some of the top programs:
- Criminal Justice
Now, how are you going to pay for this?
Florida State Tuition Figures
At $37,019, Florida State’s cost of attendance is astronomical. Most incoming students receive some form of financial aid, and the average award is $9,000.
Here’s a fuller look at Florida State tuition and financial aid in 2017:
- Total budget: $37,019
- Average financial aid package: $9,000
- The average student debt of a Florida State graduate is $23,679
Now, what is life like at Florida State? Let’s take a look.
Florida State Location
Florida State’s main campus is located in Tallahassee, Florida.
Established in 1851, Florida State University is Florida’s oldest higher education institution, as well as being home to the state’s only National Laboratory, the National High Magnetic Field Library.
Remember, you’re going to Florida for its excellent academics! Below is a look at what academic life will be like.
Florida State Academics
Florida State has dozens of majors. Some of the school’s more interesting majors are:
- Entrepreneurial and Small Business Operations
- Graphic Design
- Human Development and Family Studies
- International Relations and Affairs
- Kinesiology and Exercise Science
- Social Sciences
- Social Work
Now, let’s take a look at life outside the classroom at Florida State.
Student Life at Florida State
Florida State has hundreds of student organizations, covering academic interests, creative and performing arts, cultural and racial initiatives, gender and sexuality affinity groups, government and political interests, and various media and publications.
Here’s a sampling of Florida State’s student activities:
- Art Therapy Association
- Black Female Development Circle
- Democratic Law Students Association
- Environmental Law Society
- Gays, Lesbians, and Allies Advancing Medicine
- Graduate Dance Council
- Adventure Club at FSU
- Anhelo Tango Club
- Images Modeling Troupe
- No Bears Allowed
- Seminole Guard
- Weightlifting Club
- Billiards Club at FSU
- Parkour at Florida State University
- Relay For Life
Are you an athlete? Florida State’s got plenty of options for you.
Florida State Athletics
Florida State offers a large number of intercollegiate sports, with extensive varsity, as well as club, offerings, for both men and women.
Florida State’s sports include:
- Swimming & Diving
- Track & Field
Who might you become with a Florida State degree? Let’s take a look at some well-known and successful alums:
Florida State has produced politicians, business tycoons, entertainers, musicians, media figures, and leaders in dozens of other fields.
Here’s a list of some particularly well-known alums:
- Florida governor Charlie Crist
- Musician Jim Morrison
- Actor Burt Reynolds
- Sportscaster Lee Corso
- Screenwriter Alan Ball
- NFL Player and Analyst Deion Sanders
- Spanx founder Sara Blakely
- NASA astronaut Winston Scott
- Film producer Adele Romanski
- Author Hunter S. Thompson
- Baseball manager Tony La Russa
- Dollar Tree CEO Bob Sasser
And this is only a partial list!
Getting into Florida State is pretty competitive. Don’t despair if you get a no.
If you have a strong GPA and high test scores, you have a great chance of getting into at least one of the more competitive schools. And if you don’t, remember: where you go is NOT who you are.
If you need to boost your GPA or test scores before application time rolls around, you should consider signing up for a course with Prep Expert. We offer one-on-one tutoring and classes, both in-person and online, at locations throughout the United States.
For more test strategy, college admissions, and scholarship application tips sign up for our FREE class happening right now!