SMU 2019 Acceptance Rate: Class of 2023
So, you’re thinking about applying to Southern Methodist University (better known as “SMU”), and you’re curious about your chances of admission. There are a lot of factors in the admissions process. However, the most important factors in the admissions game are your GPA and test scores.
With an acceptance rate of 49%, admission to Southern Methodist University (SMU) is competitive. Based on our analysis, to have a good chance of being admitted, you need to be at the top of your class and have an SAT score of close to 1400, or an ACT score of around 29.
Not quite there? Try taking our SAT prep course and You’ll still have a chance of getting in, but it’s in the single digits. Let’s take a closer look at SMU admission statistics.
SMU 2019 Admissions Statistics: Class of 2023
- SMU’s acceptance rate in 2019 was 49%
- For the class of 2023, out of 13,250 applicants, SMU admitted 6,482
- The average GPA of admitted applicants was 3.64
- The average ACT score was 29
- The average SAT score was 1370
For students who took the ACT, the 25th percentile score of successful applicants was 28, and the 75th percentile score was 32.
For students who took the SAT, the 25th percentile score was 1300. The 75th percentile score was 1470.
If you’re somewhere in the middle of these numbers, remember that a high test score can compensate for a slightly lower GPA, and vice versa. If you’re at the lower end, it helps if you’re a diverse applicant, the child of an alum, or have incredible personal achievements.
Other aspects of your application, such as athletics, extracurricular and recommendations, are important, but will likely only make a difference for admission if you’re in the 75th percentile range for your GPA and SAT/ACT scores.
Even if SMU is your dream school, and even if you’re in the 75th percentile, you’ll still want to make sure you apply to a wide variety of schools to ensure you’ll gain admission somewhere.
Generally, you should have:
- Three safety schools (where you are in the 75th percentile of GPA/test scores)
- Three reach schools (where you are in the 25th percentile of GPA/test scores)
- Three target schools (where you are near the average for GPA/test scores)
OK, so you’ve decided to apply. We took a look at SMU’s admissions requirements to help you get everything in order.
SMU 2019 Application Requirements: Class of 2023
Here’s a full list of application requirements:
- Fill out either the SMU Online Application, Common Application, ApplyTexas Application or Coalition Application
- Submit an ACT score or SAT score
- Pay the $60 application fee
- Submit an Early Decision Agreement Form (if you applying for Early Decision
- Submit your high school transcript
- Submit counselor and teacher recommendations
- Submit an extracurricular resume
Here are the deadlines that you should be aware of:
- The application deadline is November 1st for Early Action
- The application deadline is January 15th for Regular Decision
Have you been admitted to SMU? Congratulations! Below is a glimpse of what your classmates will be like.
SMU 2019 Admitted Students Profile: Class of 2023
If you matriculate at SMU, you’ll be joining a diverse class, with students from all over the U.S. and the world, and have a chance to study in dozens of fields.
Here are some interesting facts about the recently admitted class:
- Roughly 50% are male and 50% are female
- 8.2% of students are international
SMU has a diverse class, as well, with a large number of people of color. The ethnicities of admitted applicants are:
- International: 8.2%
- Underrepresented minority: 0.1%
- Two or more races: 4.3%
- White: 70%
What do these admitted students plan to study? SMU offers dozens of majors, and students matriculating there pursue a wide number of subjects. Here is a list of some of the top programs:
Now, how are you going to pay for this?
SMU Tuition Figures
At $69,883, SMU’s cost of attendance is astronomical. Most incoming students receive some form of financial aid, and the average award is $22,210.
Here’s a fuller look at SMU tuition and financial aid in 2017:
- Total budget: $69,883
- Average financial aid package: $22,210
- The average student debt of an SMU graduate is $29,601
Now, what is life like at SMU? Let’s take a look.
SMU’s main campus is located in the downtown area of Dallas, Texas.
SMU’s campus covers portions of the town of Highland Park, and also sections of University Park and Dallas. It was also recognized as one of the most beautiful campuses in the country by Conde Nast Traveler in 2016.
Remember, you’re going to SMU for its excellent academics! Below is a look at what academic life will be like.
SMU has dozens of majors. Some of the school’s more interesting majors are:
- Business Administration and Management
- Civil Engineering
- Creative Writing
- Financial Planning and Services
- Geophysics and Seismology
- Liberal Arts and Sciences
- Mechanical Engineering
- Operations Research
Now, let’s take a look at life outside the classroom at SMU.
Student Life at SMU
SMU has hundreds of student organizations, covering academic interests, creative and performing arts, cultural and racial initiatives, gender and sexuality affinity groups, government and political interests, and various media and publications.
Here’s a sampling of SMU’s student activities:
- AEM (Association of Mexican Entrepreneurs)
- Bhakti Yoga Club
- Boulevard Baking
- Disciples on Campus
- Entrepreneurship Club
- Feminist Equality Movement
- Hip Hop Club
- Italian Club
- Japanese Cultural Club
- Le Cordon SMeU
- MakerTruck Crew
- Mustang Mavericks
- Not On My Campus
- Peruna Handlers
- Real Estate Club
- SMU Mustang Martial Arts
Are you an athlete? SMU’s got plenty of options for you.
SMU offers a large number of intercollegiate sports, with extensive varsity, as well as club, offerings, for both men and women.
SMU’s sports include:
- Swimming & Diving
Who might you become with an SMU degree? Let’s take a look at some well-known and successful alums:
SMU has produced politicians, business tycoons, entertainers, musicians, media figures, and leaders in dozens of other fields.
Here’s a list of some particularly well-known alums:
- Texas governor Bill Clements
- British Airways CEO Alex Cruz
- Kroger Co. President David B. Dillon
- Nobel Prize-winning physicist James Cronin
- Actress Kathy Bates
- Actor Powers Boothe
- Film director Tsui Hark
- Entrepreneur Kourtney Kardashian
- Playwright Beth Henley
- NFL running back Eric Dickerson
- Professional golfer Payne Stewart
And this is only a partial list!
Getting into SMU is competitive. Don’t despair if you get a no.
If you have a strong GPA and high test scores, you have a great chance of getting into at least one of the more competitive schools. And if you don’t, remember: where you go is NOT who you are.
If you need to boost your GPA or test scores before application time rolls around, you should consider signing up for a course with Prep Expert. We offer one-on-one tutoring and classes, both in-person and online, at locations throughout the United States.
For more test strategy, college admissions, and scholarship application tips sign up for our FREE class happening right now!