2019 UC Irvine Acceptance Rate: Class of 2023
So, you’re thinking about applying to UC Irvine, and you’re curious about your chances of admission. There are a lot of factors in the admissions process. However, the most important factors in the admissions game are your GPA and test scores.
With an acceptance rate of 28.8%, admission to UC Irvine is extremely competitive. Based on our analysis, to have a good chance of being admitted, you need to be at the very top of your class and have an SAT score of close to 1510 and an SAT Essay score of 18, or an ACT score of around 34.
Not quite there? Try taking our SAT prep course and You’ll still have a chance of getting in, but it’s in the single digits. Let’s take a closer look at UC Irvine admission statistics.
2019 UC Irvine Acceptance Rate: Class of 2023
- UC Irvine’s acceptance rate in 2019 was 28.8%
- For the class of 2023, out of 95,564 applicants, UC Irvine admitted 23,756
- The average weighted GPA of admitted applicants was 4.13
- The average ACT score was 28
- The average SAT score was 1310
For students who took the ACT, the 25th percentile score of successful applicants was 25, and the 75th percentile score was 30.
For students who took the SAT, the 25th percentile score was 1250. The 75th percentile score was 1460.
If you’re somewhere in the middle of these numbers, remember that a high test score can compensate for a slightly lower GPA, and vice versa. If you’re at the lower end, it helps if you’re a diverse applicant, the child of an alum, or have incredible personal achievements.
Other aspects of your application, such as athletics, extracurricular and recommendations, are important, but will likely only make a difference for admission if you’re in the 75th percentile range for your GPA and SAT/ACT scores.
Even if UC Irvine is your dream school, and even if you’re in the 75th percentile, you’ll still want to make sure you apply to a wide variety of schools to ensure you’ll gain admission somewhere.
Generally, you should have:
- Three safety schools (where you are in the 75th percentile of GPA/test scores)
- Three reach schools (where you are in the 25th percentile of GPA/test scores)
- Three target schools (where you are near the average for GPA/test scores)
OK, so you’ve decided to apply. We took a look at UC Irvine’s admissions requirements to help you get everything in order.
2020 UC Irvine Application Requirements: Class of 2024
Here’s a full list of application requirements:
- Students must complete UC-approved courses in 7 different subject areas
- Students must earn a minimum GPA of 3.0 (for in-state) or 3.4 (out-of-state residents) in the UC-approved courses, via those courses taken during 10th and 11th grades
- Students must submit scores from either the ACT or SAT, both requiring the written essay sections
- Students must answer 4 out of 8 Personal Insight question prompts, each limited to a maximum of 350 words each.
- Meet a long list of other faculty-approved criteria; for example, “…quality of academic performance relative to educational opportunities available at your school”.
Here are the deadlines that you should be aware of:
- The application deadline is November 30th
- March 2nd is the financial aid application deadline
- Regular Decision applicants find out their fates in April
Have you been admitted to UC Irvine? Congratulations! Below is a glimpse of what your classmates will be like.
2019 UC Irvine Class of 2023 Admitted Students Profile
If you matriculate at UC Irvine, you’ll be joining a diverse class, with students from all over the U.S. and the world, and have a chance to study in dozens of fields.
Here are some interesting facts about a recently admitted class:
- Roughly 47% are male and 53% are female
- 16.2% of students are international
UC Irvine has a diverse class, as well, with a large number of people of color. The ethnicities of admitted applicants are:
- International: 16.2%
- Underrepresented minority: 2.4%
- Two or more races: 4.7%
- White: 16.9%
What do these admitted students plan to study? UC Irvine offers dozens of majors, and students matriculating there pursue a wide number of subjects. Here is a list of some of the top programs:
- Social Psychology
Now, how are you going to pay for this?
UC Irvine Tuition Figures
At $43,530, UC Irvine’s cost of attendance is astronomical (non-resident price). Most incoming students receive some form of financial aid, and the average award is $19,149.
Here’s a fuller look at UC Irvine tuition and financial aid in 2016-2017:
- Total budget: $43,530
- Average financial aid package: $19,149
- The average student debt of a UC Irvine graduate is $20,466
For the latest numbers and to learn more about financial aid options, click HERE.
Now, what is life like at UC Irvine? Let’s take a look.
UC Irvine Location
UC Irvine is located in Irvine, California in Orange County.
One distinguishing feature is the tremendous amount of trees planted in and around the main campus, numbering over 24,000. This gives UC Irvine a strong arboreal feel and look, while surrounded by an urban setting.
Remember though, you’re going to UC Irvine for its excellent academics! Below is a look at what academic life will be like.
UC Irvine Academics
UC Irvine has dozens of majors. Some of the school’s more interesting majors are:
- Art History
- Biomedical Engineering
- Social Psychology
- Developmental and Cell Biology
- Earth System Science
- Microbiology and Immunology
- Planetary Science
- Quantitative Economics
- Social Ecology
- Religious Studies
Now, let’s take a look at life outside the classroom at UC Irvine.
Student Life at UC Irvine
UC Irvine has hundreds of student organizations, covering academic interests, creative and performing arts, cultural and racial initiatives, gender and sexuality affinity groups, government and politics interests, and various media and publications.
Here’s a sampling of UC Irvine’s student activities:
- Accounting Association
- 3D Printing Club at UCI
- Animation Anteaters
- Aquaponics UCI
- Bare Bones Dance Theater
- Chess to Impress
- Crypto UCI
- Fencing Club
- Figure Skating
- Greek Songfest
- Helping Hearts
- Improv Revolution
- Knights of Nature
- League of Actuaries
- Mock Trial
- Mindfulness at UCI
- Video Game Development Club at UC Irvine
Are you an athlete? UC Irvine’s got plenty of options for you.
UC Irvine Athletics
UC Irvine offers a large number of intercollegiate sports, with extensive varsity, as well as club, offerings, for both men and women.
UC Irvine’s sports include:
- Inside Track
- Swimming & Diving
- Water Polo
- Track & Field
Who might you become with a UC Irvine degree? Let’s take a look at some well-known and successful alums:
UC Irvine has produced politicians, business tycoons, entertainers, musicians, media figures, and leaders in dozens of other fields.
Here’s a list of some particularly well-known alums:
- Artist Chris Burden
- Actor Bob Gunton
- Comedian Jon Lovitz
- Author David Benioff
- Author Michael Chabon
- NBA coach Scott Brooks
- Olympic gold medalist Greg Louganis
- Hot Topic CEO Betsy McLaughlin
- Internet pioneer Paul Mockapetris
And this is only a partial list!
Getting into UC Irvine is very competitive. Don’t despair if you get a no.
If you have a strong GPA and high test scores, you have a great chance of getting into at least one of the more competitive schools. And if you don’t, remember: where you go is NOT who you are.
If you need to boost your GPA or test scores before application time rolls around, you should consider signing up for a course with Prep Expert. We offer one-on-one tutoring and classes, both in-person and online, at locations throughout the United States.
For more test strategy, college admissions, and scholarship application tips sign up for our FREE class happening right now!