STEM students are told that their education and future job prospects benefit tremendously from that training. To be fair, there is a wide variety of lucrative options stemming from popular STEM majors and careers.
These popular STEM majors and careers provide a wealth of options to consider for your post-education work.
STEM Student Characteristics
Plenty of successful STEM major students share similar personal attributes.
Those attributes are:
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Strong math skills
- Interest in how the world functions
- Interest in how technology works
- Interest in how technology can affect human life and well-being
It’s fair to say that many STEM students are highly motivated and usually gifted at the subjects they’re tackling in these programs.
STEM Secrets To Success
There are tried and true tips to follow for long-term program success.
Here are a few basic things that any current STEM student should do to prepare for college:
- Keep your grades up consistently
- Participate in extracurricular activities to develop your interests
- Work on leadership and communication skills
Furthermore, in college itself, before committing to a STEM major, do the following:
- Take a few basic classes in various disciplines
- Explore which particular fields of study engage you the most at college-level
What you may not have liked in high school might be more interesting now in college. The intellectual stimulus you receive in college often reshapes what you think your major will be.
Also, look for research opportunities and speak with college advisors to get a taste of what different STEM majors offer. Keep that in mind when considering the various popular STEM majors below.
More importantly, the earlier you play around with different study tracks, the easier it will be to shift from one to another without losing time or wasting tuition money.
- Agronomy and Crop Science
- Animal Sciences
- Atmospheric Sciences and Meteorology
- Biochemistry and Biophysics
- Biology, General
- Cell/Cellular Biology
- Environmental Science
- Food Sciences and Technology
- Geological and Earth Sciences
- Horticulture Science
- Marine/Aquatic Biology
- Microbiology and Immunology
- Natural Resources Conservation, General
- Natural Resources Management
- Physical Sciences, General
- Science Education
- Wildlife and Wildlands Management
Computer Science and Mathematics Majors/Occupations
- Actuarial Science
- Applied Mathematics
- Business/Management Quantitative Methods, General
- Computer and Information Sciences, General
- Computer Network/Telecommunications
- Computer Science and Programming
- Computer Software and Media Application
- Computer System Administration
- Data Management Technology
- Information Science
- Management Information Systems
- Mathematics Education
- Mathematics, General
- Webpage Design
Medical and Health Majors/Occupations
- Athletic Training
- Chiropractic (Pre-Chiropractic)
- Dentistry (Pre-Dentistry)
- Emergency Medical Technology
- Food and Nutrition
- Health/Medical Technology, General
- Medical Laboratory Technology
- Medical Radiologic Technology
- Medicine (Pre-Medicine)
- Nuclear Medicine Technology
- Nursing, Practical/Vocational (LPN)
- Nursing, Registered (BS/RN)
- Optometry (Pre-Optometry)
- Osteopathic Medicine
- Pharmacy (Pre-Pharmacy)
- Physical Therapy (Pre-Physical Therapy)
- Physician Assisting
- Respiratory Therapy Technology
- Surgical Technology
- Veterinarian Assisting/Technology
- Veterinary Medicine (Pre-Vet)
Engineering and Technology Majors/Occupations
- Aeronautical/Aerospace Engineering Technology
- Aerospace/Aeronautical Engineering
- Architectural Drafting/CAD Technology
- Architectural Engineering
- Architectural Engineering Technology
- Architecture, General
- Automotive Engineering Technology
- Biomedical Engineering
- Chemical Engineering
- Civil Engineering
- Civil Engineering Technology
- Computer Engineering
- Computer Engineering Technology
- Construction Engineering/Management
- Construction/Building Technology
- Drafting/CAD Technology, General
- Electrical, Electronic, and Communication Engineering
- Electrical/Electronics Engineering Technology
- Electromechanical/Biomedical Engineering Technology
- Engineering (Pre-Engineering), General
- Engineering Technology, General
- Environmental Control Technologies
- Environmental Health Engineering
- Industrial Engineering
- Industrial Production Technologies
- Mechanical Drafting/CAD Technology
- Mechanical Engineering
- Mechanical Engineering Technology
- Military Technologies
- Nuclear Engineering
- Quality Control and Safety Technologies
- Surveying Technology
For more test strategy, college admissions, and scholarship application tips sign up for our FREE class happening right now!
Popular STEM Majors FAQ
What do all STEM students have in common?
Plenty of successful STEM major students share similar personal attributes. Those attributes are: Strong analytical and problem-solving skills, Strong math skills, Interest in how the world functions, Interest in how technology works, and Interest in how technology can affect human life and well-being.
What should STEM students do to better prepare for college?
Here are a few basic things that any current STEM student should do to prepare for college: Keep your grades up consistently, Participate in extracurricular activities to develop your interests, and Work on leadership and communication skills.
What are some popular Science majors?
Astronomy, Atmospheric Sciences and Meteorology, Biochemistry and Biophysics, Biology, General Cell/Cellular Biology, Chemistry, Ecology, Environmental Science, Food Sciences and Technology, Forestry, Genetics, and Physics.
What are some popular Engineering majors?
Architecture, Automotive Engineering Technology, Biomedical Engineering, Chemical Engineering, Civil Engineering, Civil Engineering Technology, Computer Engineering, Computer Engineering Technology, Construction Engineering/Management, Construction/Building Technology, Drafting/CAD Technology, General Electrical, Electronic, and Communication Engineering, Electromechanical/Biomedical Engineering Technology, Mechanical Engineering, Nuclear Engineering.